Latitude: N 30d 21m 23s, Longitude: W 95d 44m 40s
(This is the exact location you may setup your telescope)
The White Eagle Lodge is a private church retreat in Montgomery, TX. It has an open field with dark western and northern skies, although the east does suffer from light pollution. The north and east have good low horizons, while the west and southwest are somewhat obstructed by trees.
- From the center of Montgomery (TX105 & 149), take TX105 west 3.2 miles.
- Turn left onto Old Dobbins Rd.
- After 0.5 miles, the road turns sharply right, then immediately turn left onto St. Beulah Chapel Rd.
- After turning onto St Beulah Chapel Rd, go past Dear Creek Ln on the left, then veer left as the road goes past Beulah Ln on the right.
- After the domed Church building, immediately turn left, into their driveway (the Church building is about 1 mile from Old Dobbins Rd)
You’ll then drive past the domed building on a rough gravel/dirt driveway, past another building with a small parking lot. Keep going until you get to the open field. Park along the dirt road below the mobile home site.
Click on any picture for a larger view.
|1. Driving West on highway 105, here is the left turn onto Old Dobbins Road.||2. The Church building just before turning left|
|3. Turn left here! The blue sign says “Saint John’s Church & Retreat Center”.||4. Approaching the field|
|5. Looking northwest at the site.||6. To the northeast.|
|7. To the south.||8. To the northeast.|
|Other notes and and the procedure for reserving a night in addition to the regular monthly NHAC star parties may be found here.
The property owners (St. John’s Retreat Center) request that all users sign a Release of Liability Waiver. Please print and sign this at home, and bring a copy with you and give it to an NHAC Board Member, if you have not done so previously.